Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hope. Faith. Love.


“A great film with great characters portrayed by immense actors.” That’s how I can describe the film, My Sister’s Keeper -- a story about family, relationships and life. Though the story is somehow predictable at first due to some scenes showing how Kate (the daughter who’s suffering from leukemia) suffer from her disease, the movie inspired a lot of people.

In the movie, the love of each family member is visible. It shows how Kate’s parents love her so much that when they knew that Kate is suffering from a disease, they decided to have another child (Anna) through genetic engineering that would become a perfect genetic match with Kate’s need in order to have a healthy life like others. On the other hand, Anna knew all along that it is the purpose of her living-to supply Kate anything to live a better life. Kate’s mom stopped working to take good care of her two daughters and her husband supported her decision. Their relationships with each other never change until Anna decided not to donate her kidney to Kate anymore. She asked help with a known lawyer for her medical emancipation and her case was up to court. Her mom who happens to be a non-practicing lawyer was her opponent in that case. Her mom fight for Kate’s right and with much focus of her sick daughter, she almost leave her other children alone. Until one day, at the hearing, Kate’s and Anna’s brother revealed that all the things happening were all about Kate. She asked Anna to file a case because it’s the only way to stop her mom in letting Anna supply everything for Kate. Kate also told Anna that she knew all along that even the surgery will not help her live a longer life anymore, she knew that she will going to die sooner or later. Her mom was shocked but sooner faced that fact.

The love is evident in almost all of the scenes. The actors feel their characters well enough and their acting really shows their grief. Personally, I was touched on how they face and handle all the challenges in their lives. I was inspired and I learned to acknowledge my blessings more than my losses. Their strong personalities in the film moved me and gave me strength to face my own dilemmas. However, I was confused when watching the film because of many flashbacks without any signs. I was asking my friends, “Present na ba ulit yan o flashback pa din?” but in the end, it helped me understand the story more because the flashbacks are the scenes that show why a certain decision was made.

It was a great movie because of its content and the story itself. Hope, faith and love are seen and I believe that many people were able to relate in the content of the story because it has a deeper meaning- not just about a sick person, or a caring mother, or a sister’s keeper itself but the virtues shown in it are the most important above all.

No comments:

Post a Comment